Fraser Basin Council
Smart Planning for BC Communities
Smart Planning for Communities was developed as a collaborative, BC-wide initiative to provide smaller, non-urban communities with practical supports to do Integrated Community Sustainability Planning. Since 2008 they have been helping communities make long-range plans for social, cultural, economic and environmental sustainability.
The Real Estate Foundation awarded this grant to support the initiative’s continuing success. Between 2011 and 2013 the program:
- Provided information and process advice to over 750 local governments and First Nations;
- Delivered or partnered in the delivery of over 200 presentations and workshops;
- Made over 550 referrals to funding sources and/or other resources;
- Facilitated over 80 collaborative processes;
- Facilitated over 32 cooperative actions between local governments and their First Nations neighbours in Shuswap, Okanagan, Vancouver Island, and northern BC; and
- Managed the BC Climate Action Tool Kit, which is supported by a partnership with the Green Communities Committee (with representatives from the Province, Union of British Columbia municipalities and Fraser Basin Council).
We have supported Smart Planning for Communities since it began; the program provides valuable tools and resources that support local and First Nations governments undertaking sustainability planning in their communities.